On Sunday, November 4, 2018, Matthew preached the message “Remember, You’re Not God” from Genesis 29:1-30:24 as a part of our current series, re:creation. Below are a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to the message again, visit our Audio Resources page.
1. When Jacob was at the well, did he demonstrate an attitude of waiting on the Lord or did he take matters into his own strength? Why did he act in the way that he did? How do you do the same when faced with a desire to secure God’s blessings through your own willpower?
2. Why do we love to “play God”? How do you see Jacob doing so in this passage? In what ways do you do this in your daily life?
3. What is an example of God’s discipline in your life? What was your response to that discipline? Did you see it as ultimately a measure for your good? Why or why not?
4. Matthew taught that we should not assume we are walking in a manner that pleases the Lord just because we receive some of His blessings. Why is this? Has there ever been a time in your life when good things were happening but you were not walking in the light?
5. What is the significance of the specific children that God gave Leah? Why do you think that God chooses what is weak in the eyes of the world to shame the wise?