Below is a brief review of our meeting on Sunday, followed by projection from the message, and a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week.
Josh opened our time together with announcements and a Call to Worship from Matthew 28.
Matthew prayed and Katie Seifring read the scripture for the day’s message: Daniel 5.
Chris preached the next message in our current series, Dominion: The Book of Daniel. The message was titled, “When God interrupts a Party” and can be heard again on our Audio Resources Page.
In a special part of the meeting, our church celebrated several baptisms:
- Bob Swank was baptized by Ted Williams
- Lynn Swank was baptized by Bob Swank
- Morgan Swank was baptized by Bob Swank
- Mikala Swank was baptized by Bob Swank
- Carlos Beltran was baptized by Damian Crichigno
Projection from the message:
Outline Points of Daniel 5:
- God’s Sovereign Rule cannot be thwarted.
- Idolatry is offensive and it will be punished
- Reward awaits those who persevere in trusting God.
So Pilate said to him, “You will not speak to me? Do you not know that I have authority to release you and authority to crucify you?” Jesus answered him, “You would have no authority over me at all unless it had been given you from above. – John 19:10-11
First 4 commandments:
- You shall have no other gods before me.
- You shall not make for yourself a carved image,
- You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain
- Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth. For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images resembling mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles. – Romans 1:18-23
Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry. – 1 Corinthians 10:14
Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. – Colossians 3:5
The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.” – John 8:3-11
The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. – Romans 16:20
1. In Daniel 5, why was King Belshazzar so afraid when he saw the hand writing on the wall? What was Daniel’s interpretation of the event?
2. Chris taught that God’s sovereign rule cannot be thwarted. What does this mean? How have you seen this truth play out in the course of human history? More personally, how have you seen this truth work in your own life?
3. Why is idolatry so offensive to God? What happens to the idolater? What view does Jesus hold for those who commit idolatry or any other form of grievous sin?
4. What is the most difficult part of persevering and trusting God in your walk of faith? Are there any areas of your life that you are tempted to loose sight of the reward that awaits a true disciple of Christ?