On Sunday, May 19, 2019, Matthew preached the message, “Mission” as part of our new mini-series, A Community Like No Other. See below for a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to other messages from this series, visit our Audio Resources page.
1. What makes Jesus so divisive? Why does thinking of him as a “living stone” help us understand about his person and work?
2. Do you ever feel ashamed or embarrassed for being a Christian? How does the rejection and vindication of Christ help us in those moments?
3. What makes the church a “spiritual house”? Matthew said, “All of the blessings and privileges the Lord granted to Israel have been inherited by the church through the mercy of God in Jesus Christ.” What does that mean?
4. What is the single most important thing you can do to build up and strengthen the community of our church?
5. What mission has God given the community of the church? How is God’s mission for his people accomplished through the distinct and identifiable nature of his people? Why does accomplishing that mission require community?
6. Does your Community Group spend time together with people who don’t know Jesus? Do you spend time with people who don’t know Jesus? Why or why not? Are you comfortable with your answer?
7. Brainstorm some practical ways your Community Group can become more like the shop with big bay windows Matthew talked about. How could you connect your non-Christian friends to the community of our church? Where are you tempted to circle the wagons? Where are you excited to be a faithful ambassador?