On Sunday, March 11th, Matthew preached the message “The Effect of Sin” from Genesis 3:8-24 as part of our current series, re:creation. Below are a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to the message again, visit our Audio Resources page. For a PDF of the projection from the message, click here.
1. How does God respond to sin? Explain how He pursues, judges, and redeems sinners.
2. How do sinners instinctively react when confronted with the holiness of God? Why is our inclination so often to fear and hide? How do you see Adam and Eve responding in this way?
3. What is the significance of the word “desire” in Genesis 3:16? What are specific effects of sin on men contrasted with women as outlined here? How have you seen that play out in modern day culture?
4. Instead of humbly confessing his sin, Adam shifts the blame to Eve and therefore to God Himself ultimately. What should your approach be if you struggle with putting the blame for your sin on others?
5. What is the symbolism of the clothing that God made for Adam and Eve? How does He cover us and care for us despite our sin?