On Sunday, June 30, 2019, Matthew preached the message, “The Critical Turn” from our new series Living with the End in View. See below for a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to other messages from this series, visit our Audio Resources page.
- As Christians, what does it mean to live with the end in view? Are we in control of this ending? Is this difficult for you to accept in any way?
- What is the different between viewing our existence as “our story” verses “God’s story”? How is this concept contradictory to the Western world’s view of things like success, the celebration of self, the American dream, etc? How are these ultimately forms of idolatry? Have you ever been tempted to play into these mindsets? What should your biblical response be?
- What is the connection between good works and faith? How is the function of good works in regard to faith so often distorted, even within the church?
- Do you think that other Christians around you perceive and give thanks for the fruit of your faith? What is the origin point of such fruit? Use this passage in 1 Thessalonians to back up your answer.
- What is true conversion and how does it differ from a mere mental recognition of the gospel? What two things is conversion a result of?
- If you are a follower of Jesus, what does it look like to be “always sorrowful and always rejoicing”? What does such a countenance look like for you personally on a weekly basis? How does your relationship with the Savior make it possible to do both well?