On Sunday, June 2, 2019, guest pastor Doug Ponder preached the message, “Character” as part of our current mini-series, A Community Like No Other. Click here to access a PDF of projection from the message. See below for a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to other messages from this series, visit our Audio Resources page.
- What are the characteristics of the Acts 2 church that Doug described as “uniquely Christian” (see projection PDF if needed)? Why were these things identifiers of Christianity in a way that other religions could not claim? What happened to society around the church when these ideas began to spread?
- Do you see these same characteristics marking the modern church today? In which of these areas would you say the American church is strong? From your perspective, what is our greatest area of needed growth?
- Doug taught that the anchor of all Christianity is the self-giving love of Jesus Christ. What does this mean? What is effect of God giving us Himself as opposed to just a list of rules to follow? What comfort does this bring?
- What is the correlation between the depth of our love for Jesus and the liberality of our love for others? Is this connection currently present in your life?
- What are the weekly rhythms of a healthy church that Doug taught about (see projection PDF if needed)? Which of these five rhythms are most meaningful to you? Which are most difficult for you to participate in and why?