Below is a brief review of our meeting on Sunday, followed by discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week.
Matthew opened our time together with announcements and a Call to Worship from Revelation 7:9-12.
Matthew led us in a Prayer of Intercession in which we prayed for the nation of Syria, Christian Life Church in Chester, and racial reconciliation in our community and country.
Matthew read Ephesians 2:13-16 and introduced Angela Williams who shared her testimony about the need for racial reconciliation based upon some of her personal experiences from the past year.
After Angela shared, Matthew invited the church to attend the Second Quarterly Prayer Meeting that evening where we continued to pray specifically for racial reconciliation. Look for a blog post later this week with prayer points and scripture meditations from the meeting.
Bob Shanks read 1 John 5:1-5 and Matthew preached the next message in our current series Assured of Salvation. The message, “The Victory of Faith” can be heard again on our Audio Resources page.
After the message, Chris led us in the sharing of communion and Matthew closed our time with a benediction.
1. Matthew taught that biblical faith is a heartfelt conviction that Jesus is the Christ. What does this mean? What is the difference between biblical faith and a generic belief in God/Jesus?
2. What does it mean to be “born of God”? Are you born of God? How do you know?
3. What is the intersection of humility and hope when one is being changed by being born of God? What is the lifespan of so-called “begrudging, dutiful faith” in contrast with genuine faith that Jesus is the Son of God?
4. What is the single best gift that you can give to this church or to our pastors?
5. The most loving thing that you can do in all of your relationships is to show people how to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. Taking this to heart, what do you need to do to better love your spouse this week? Your children? Your parents?