On Sunday, January 20, 2019, Matthew preached the message “The Wounded and the Wayward” from Genesis 34 as part of our current series, re:creation. Below are a few discussion questions for Community Group or personal study this week. To listen to the message again, visit our Audio Resources page.
1. Describe the events of this passage in your own words. What mistakes do you see made from the beginning? Consider the histories of the families of Dinah and Shechem, what sinful patterns do you see being continued?
2. What made Shechem’s actions toward Dinah so abhorrent? Was it simply her lack of consent or something deeper?
3. How is sexual intimacy between a married man and woman a glimpse of God’s love and passion for His church? How does God use sex to teach us about Himself? Why do these truths make sexual sin all the more grievous?
4. What is your response to this message? What was most difficult for you to hear? What was most comforting?
5. What should your response be if you recognize that you are wounded, by sexual sin or otherwise? What should your response be if you realize that you are wayward, committing sexual sin or any evil practice? How is it that we ultimately belong in both of the above categories?