“May Your kingdom come & Your will be done”
In yesterday’s blog, we saw that Jesus calls us to pray to “Our dearest Father” for His name to be respected as holy. The second petition flows from the first. When God’s name is honored, His kingdom comes. When someone recognizes the awesome holiness of God, he falls on his face before God as a subject kneels before his king.
A prayer for God’s kingdom to come & His will to be done anticipates a future time when Jesus will return, judge the world, & establish His eternal kingdom. On that Day when His rule is complete, all sin & evil will be destroyed, our evil hearts will be pure, our deceit, distrust, and shame banished. As we await that time, we pray for God’s rule to increasingly fill the earth praying these imperative words: “Come, kingdom of God! Be done will of God!”
Let’s pray together for God’s rule to be evident in our lives through our joyful obedience and our joyful pursuit of God’s kingdom. Let’s pray today that we will:
- Choose to obey God even when it’s costly or hard
- Faithfully pray for one another
- Be proactive in seeking community outside of meetings
- Have a heart to build relationships with the world around us
- Have eyes to see Gospel opportunities
- Be bold in sharing the Gospel message
- Open doors to spread the Gospel to other nations.